Private university in Lexington, Va. Founded as an academy in 1749, it is one of the oldest institutions of higher learning in the U.S. It is named after G. Washington, who presented the academy with a gift of $50,000 in 1796, and R. E. Lee, who served as its president 1865-70. It became coeducational in 1984. It has an undergraduate college, a law school, and a school of commerce, economics, and politics. Among its offerings are programs in engineering, environmental studies, and journalism. Total enrollment is about 2,000.