City (metro. area pop., 1992 est.: 1,522,000), capital of El Salvador. Founded near Suchitoto by the Spanish in 1525, it was moved to its present site in 1528 and declared a city in 1546. It became the capital of the country in 1839. During the late 1970s it became the focus of violence between the government and left-wing political groups. It is the country's financial, commercial, and industrial center, producing textiles and clothing, leather goods, and wood products. It is also the site of the Univ. of El Salvador. Ruined by earthquakes in 1854, 1873, and 1917 and by heavy floods in 1934, it often has been reconstructed. Another earthquake in 1986 killed more than 900 people.